The onion (Allium cepa), also known as the bulb onion,common onion and garden onion, is the most widely cultivated species of the genus Allium.The genus Allium also contains a number of other species variously referred to as onions and cultivated for food, such as the Japanese bunching onion, Egyptian onion and Canada onion. The name “wild onion” is applied to a number of Allium species.
Known for its pungent smell, unique flavor, and a tendency to bring tears to our eyes, onions have been used around the world as an ingredient in various dishes such as salads, soups, spreads, stir-fry, and veggies. Onions belong to the lily family. Nutritionally, they are not only abundant in vitamin C, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, folate, and manganese but are also extremely low in saturated fat, Sodium, and cholesterol. Their peculiar flavor and aroma is attributed to sulfur containing compounds including thiosulfinates, sulfides, and sulfoxides. However, these active substances are known to be of curative value since ancient times.
Top 20 Health Benefits of Onions are as follows:
- Good Oral Health: Onions are often used to prevent tooth decay and oral infections. Chewing raw onions for 2 to 3 minutes could possibly kill all the germs present in the mouth area.
- Treatment for Heart Ailments: Onions aids in thinning of the blood, which in turn prevents the red blood cells from forming clumps. These blocks could lead to heart disorders or cardiovascular diseases.
- Glowing Skin: Onion juice mixed with honey or olive oil is said to be best treatment for acne condition.
- Treatment for Cough: Consuming equal mixture of onion juice and honey can relive sore throat and cough symptoms.
- Used as Insect Repellent: You can apply onion juice to reduce the pain caused due to honey-bee bite. Fresh onion juice or paste can be used for external applications for insect bites and scorpion stings.
- Boost Sexual Drive: Onions are said to increase the urge for healthy sexual life. One table spoon of onion juice along with spoonful of ginger juice, taken trice a day can boost the libido and sexdrive.
- Treatment of Anaemic Condition: Even anaemic conditions can be improved by eating onions along with jaggery and water.
- Relieves Stomach Ache: Onions have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that give relief to upset stomach and related gastro syndromes.
- Treating Urinary Disorders: For those suffering from burning sensation during urination, onions can provide considerable relief. The patient should drink water boiled with 6 to 7 gm of onion.
- Prevention of Cancer: Onions are rich in active compounds that successfully inhibit the development of cancerous cells.
- Relieving Earache: A few drops of onion juice may actually prove immensely beneficial to individuals suffering from acute earache. The ringing sound in the ear may be cured by applying onion juice through cotton wool.
- According to Peace Health, onions have been useful for treating various human diseases such as tumours, persistent coughs and cold. Medicine practitioners consider this plant form as a perfect home remedy for relieving disease syndromes. Peace Health further states that onion consumption can help in prevention of stomach and breast cancer.
- Onions Consist of Sulphur Rich Compounds - The medical studies reveal that these sulphur compounds stop biochemical chain formations that could possibly lead to an asthmatic condition. Onions facilitates the melting of phlegm in a patient suffering from severe cough. Fresh onion juices are said to be applied to patients who become unconscious, for bringing vigour and energy back into the patient.
- Onions clean your blood. Today is the day of pollution, germs, dusts and toxins. Whenever you inhale any toxins, they get mixed with your blood and make your blood impure. But thanks to our kidney, it filters all of them and more thanks to onions (only if you eat onions), they will help the kidneys filter the blood. This is the health benefit of onions for your blood – yes, onions clean your blood.
- Raw onions help to decrease the effect of insomnia - Eat them right before bed. Onions are surprisingly a great source of fiber too. By eating them before bed, you’ll not only be giving your body a boost of fiber, but also a good night’s sleep. So, you get fiber and sound sleep at the same time – healthy onions! Onions with Omega 3 containing Foods like fish is a great nutritional and healthy diet.
- Onions kill the germs responsible for cholera - Cut onions into tiny pieces and boil them in water and drink the water. This will help to kill the bacterias responsible for Cholera.
- Bleeding from Nose – If someone is bleeding cut the onion and let the person breathe the smell of fresh cut onion. This will help to stop the blood or reduce it.
- Remove dark pigments and patches – Apply the Onion Juice mix with turmeric on face this will help you to remove dark pigments and patches.
- Onions Lower Blood Sugar Onions contain a compound called allyl propyl disulphide (also known as APDS) which is what gives them their pungent flavor and what makes you cry when you cut them. But this same compound also has blood sugar lowering effects. Allyl propyl disulphide competes with insulin in the liver, which triggers the body to produce more insulin, which helps transport glucose through the body and lowers blood sugar. Onions are also high in chromium, an essential mineral which helps cells respond to glucose.
- Nutritional Profile -A well-balanced diet includes a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, and onions are one healthy vegetable! They are very low in calories (a 1/2 cup serving has only 30 calories), fat free, Sodium free, and are high in vitamins C and B6. They also contain fiber, protein, iron and other essential nutrients.
Nutritional Values of Dry Onion
1/2 cup chopped
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
|Vitamin C||6 mg|
|Vitamin B6||<1 mg|
Nutritional Values of Fresh Green Onions
Serving Size: 1/2 cup chopped (stalks and bulbs)
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Vitamin A||498 IU|
|Vitamin C||10 mg|